2 robbers (said to be Chinese), one with a pistol; another with a knife broke into their rented house at Maluri. All 4 of them were tied up. Their valuable belongings including but not limited to cash, handphones and jeweleries were taken with force. The robbers further took their ATM cards and credit cards; forced them to reveal the pin numbers and threaten to leave a bullet or two inside their head should the pins furnished are fake and/or false.
While one of the robbers guard the 4 with a pistol on hand, the other went to the nearest ATM machine to withdraw any single cent that is available in those accounts. The 2 then went off without releasing the 4 poor girls. My said colleague is now suffering from traumatic experience and still under great fear. It was lucky that she and her housemates were not raped or seriously injured.
They then went to lodge a police report. It is disgraceful that the police officer merely warn them to be extra careful next round. I must say that it is very common to hear such a remark - "lain kali berhati-hatilah sikit". If that is so; and indeed it is, it comes to no surprise that crime is widespreading in our country.
I am however minded to suggest the following precautions:-
- Be extra careful while you are at any parking bay even when the lights are brightened on and crowds nearby you. Should you see someone (don't be deceived by the look, race, size, age and sex) following you from afar, or standing somewhere nearby your car; purportedly making a phone call, looking for something, please immediately leave the place/return to the shopping mall or places with crowds instead of approaching your car. Only go to your car when there is nobody nearby your car and nobody following you at a close distance. Once you are in your car, don't bother to start the engine or warming up the engine at the first place. Remember the first thing that you MUST do when you get into your car is to lock the door with no delay. Start the engine only when your door has been locked. This tip is useful to avoid stranger(s) from entering your car. Likewise, when you reached certain destination, please ensure that there is nobody suspicious nearby your car before you stop the engine and unlock the door.
- Be extra careful when you reached your house's doorstep (especially for those who stay at condo, apartment of flat house). Should you see some unfamiliar faces standing near to your doorstep or your neighboring doorstep, it is advisable that you don't enter your house. Cause some delay by walking away to the car park, nearby shops or park. Immediately lock your front door once you are in your house. Do not safe your pocket from high quality equipped with extra securities devices door lock.
- Don't open your door for unfamiliar faces or stanger(s).
- If you see a or some poor face(s) waiving at you for a ride while you are driving, don't bother to stop. Be cruel instead. Kind people always taken for a ride!
- It is also advisable that you should have several bank accounts. Do not hold with you or the best is do not apply for an ATM card for account(s) that has substantial amount of saving. Park your money (for substantial amount) in a "non-ATM" account.
- Be extra careful and don't entertain unfamiliar faces or stanger(s) that is trying to approach you; even when you are at crowded places.